1.13.2012

Hyderabad 4 - Guest Post!


HELLO!  Will speaking.  So it's been roughly 4 days since arriving in Hyderabad and it's been nothing less than amazing so far.  First impressions were mixed after being singled out and convinced to pay a $25 dollar duty fee for my camera by a customs officer upon arriving to India after 23ish hours of travel.  He initially told me I needed to pay 37% of the total value, which I questioned and was given a favor by only having to pay $25, which the officer promptly slipped under some papers at his desk.  Welcome to India!  Oh well, lesson learned?  I’m currently and have been greeted with staring eyes just about everywhere I go – If you like staring contests, come to India, except you will loose roughly 64% of the time.  About 100% of the time if you don’t like being stared at.  I’ve quickly learned smiling back is the way to go… most of the time you’ll receive a hearty smile in return, most of the time… people are mostly friendly, although initially curious.  After being greeted with a “hello uncle” several times by passing children I (jokingly) asked Elliot if he had anything he wanted to tell me… as far as I know, I’m not their real uncle *.  Luke? Kate?

After being welcomed into the Reddy household, I've been venturing around Hyderabad with Elliot, Cindhu, and Madhu.  E & C did a good overview of our recent outings and whatnot, so I'll avoid redundant descriptions (except for some pics)... Here's a panorama of us on top of the Golkonda Fortress  One thing that I've grown fond of in the few days I’ve been here is the getting from place to place; however, I’ve only gotten places by autos by foot.  Driving around the city is awesome - people, autos, cars, motorcycles, cows, wild puppy parades (!), you name it; all trying to get from A to B weaving and dodging through the streets.  People actually use their horns here  (maybe a little more than my ears enjoy) for communication, which works surprisingly well for its seemingly chaotic nature. There never seems to be a dull ride somewhere, or a lack of interesting things to see, for me at least.  Auto Ride!

For those of your who have spent more than a couple meals with me, you'll know that I can occasionally (ha) be a picky eater.  You'll be happy to know I'm doing more than alright on the food front- Cindhu's grandmother told me I'm too skinny and is constantly offering me delicious and usually spicier-than-Will's-used-to food.  

Although I'm clearly out of place here, I feel comfortable and at home already. The jetlag has worn off; I now know to be wary of spontaneous camera duties, there are few dull moments; and suspect I have much to look forward to here in India. Well that's going to be it for the time being.  I’m off to meet up with my program in Delhi tomorrow, then Dharmasala next week.  I hope to be in touch when possible, till then here are some pictures and whatnots, because everyone likes pictures!? (yes/no)? 


Peace, love, and Indian adventures,
Wilber

*Uncle is a common term for an older male. 



New friend!


Temple at Golkonda
I love my cannon!           ...eh?


Golkonda Entrance

My 30 new friends!  (alternate view from previous post)

1 comment:

  1. The other solution to the staring contest (and the one preferred by blonde women everywhere) is really dark sunglasses....
    Kate

    ReplyDelete